Within chapter seven, Postman delivers another poignant illustration of how technology has overtaken our society as we know it today within the realm of the modern-day computer. While reading through the chapter, I found myself noting often many predictions Postman offered towards what might come next in the technological revolution such as: “…computers will emerge as a new type of book” (118), “Virtual realities” (117), and “ electronic writing” (119). Well, isn’t this what defines Kindle, online virtual world sites, and the basic Microsoft Word? In addition, Postman identifies how technology will leave behind old standing traditions such as handwriting/print.
Therefore, I am curious as to how many schools still require cursive? In addition, how many of your schools teach D’Nealian (the handwriting with the little “tails” at the ends of the letters to better prepare students for cursive) versus Zaner-Bloser (typical stick-ball handwriting).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Two years ago we had an American 3rd grade teacher who adamantly opposed our teaching "handwriting" as she said the kids wouldn't need it in the future. I always find this unfair, denying someone the privilege of being able to do what you do and telling them they don't need to. Why not have as many skills as possible? It's not that hard to learn. At ACA, we still do cursive, but I think it's because we have so many kids who go back to their home countries, where neat handwriting is part of the grade (India, for example). Just as proper grooming makes a good 1st impression so I think neat handwriting, whether cursive or not, also gives an added edge here and there.
ReplyDelete